When we first came across this recipe, we definitely did a double take – peaches and burrata, what!? It sounded so unique that we just had to try it and we aren’t sorry! Considering the weather has been so amazing lately and since it’s tomato season, you’ll quickly realise why this is exactly the kind of simple and tasty dinner that hits the spot over these fading days of summer…
To begin, a flavoursome mix of smashed ripe tomatoes that release their juice then gets combined with olive oil, fresh basil, garlic and pickled capers… halfway and we already have pretty insane flavour combo! Then gets added the secret ingredient – a few peach slices for extra sweetness, plus a handful of toasted pine nuts and some extra large chunks of creamy burrata. And there you have it… an Italian-nona-kind-of-awesome summer pasta!
Pasta with Smashed Raw Tomatoes, Peach & Mozzarella
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp pickled capers
- 500g ripe tomatoes
- 3-4 sprigs fresh basil, leaves picked and chopped, save some for garnish
- 200g bean pasta or other gluten free pasta alternative or zucchini noodles
- 1 handful pine nuts
- 2 peaches or nectarines
- 200g burrata
- 1 handful rocket
- A few glugs of cold pressed olive oil
- A pinch sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Mince the garlic very finely. Mash the capers with the back of a knife. Divide the tomatoes in half. Chop the basil. Place everything in a large serving bowl and add a few glugs of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- With your hands, squeeze or punch the tomatoes until soft and juicy.
- Cook the pasta in lightly salted boiling water according to the instructions on the packet.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the pine nuts in a skillet on medium heat. Slice the peaches/nectarines and tear the burrata into smaller pieces.
- When that pasta is done, reserve about 100 ml of cooking water and drain the rest.
- Add the pasta immediately to the serving bowl while it’s still hot, toss together the tomato ‘sauce’ and rocket until well mixed and add some of the cooking water if you want to make it a little juicier.
- Decorate with peaches, burrata, pine nuts, rocket, a few whole basil leaves and an extra drizzle of olive oil.
- Ready to serve!