Not only are these golden guys crunchy and sweet but they’re simply bursting with colour, flavour and the promise of better health! We think Corn Fritters are the absolute perfect way to start or finish your day and our friend Martyna Angell of the Wholesome Cook has proven these gluten-free and dairy-free versions are a total a hit for anyone with allergies or intolerances. So if you’re down for healthy but not willing to skip out on the tasty, this recipe is an absolute breeze to make and a total delight to eat.
GLUTEN AND DAIRY FREE CORN FRITTERS
Cook time: 21 mins | Serves: 2
- ⅛ cup coconut flour
- ⅛ cup white rice flour
- ½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin seeds
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cob of corn, kernels only
- ¼ red capsicum, diced
- 1 sprig spring (green) onions, diced finely
- Coconut oil for frying
- ½ avocado, cut into wedges
- 1 branch truss tomatoes, cooked under the grill for 5 minutes
- A few coriander leaves
- Macadamia nuts (or grated cheese if you’re not opposed to the dairy)
- Sift flours and spices into a medium bowl.
- In separate bowl or jug whisk together water and eggs until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture into the flour bowl and mix well to combine. Add corn, chopped capsicum and spring onions. Mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Using a ¼ cup spring-loaded ice cream scoop or spoon, ladle the batter into the hot oil, flattening out into rounds. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Flip carefully and cook for another 2 or so minutes… or until browned.
- Serve hot (or cold) with roasted tomatoes, avocado wedges, coriander leaves and a little grated cheese or macadamia nuts. And of course, with the smoked salmon and/or the poached egg if you want to go all out!
- Great when served with smoked salmon or poached egg (or both)!
- Store leftover fritters in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Use a larger fry pan than you think you might need. Otherwise flipping these little beauties will be about as easy as bathing a Labrador in a teacup!