When we think of a summer salad, we think of local fresh produce with a bit of zest and zing! That’s why we love with this grain-free, chickpea tabouleh recipe from our friends over at ‘Running On Real Food’. Traditionally, this Middle Eastern dish is made from fresh vegetables, bulgur or couscous, olive oil, sesame and herbs such as parsley and mint. In this grain-free version we’re going to use mashed chickpeas in place of couscous, leave out the olive oil completely, add plenty of garlic, fresh lemon juice, parsley, sea salt and use some tahini to add a creaminess to it all. This twist on the traditional recipe really compliments the rest of those original Middle Eastern flavours and also adds some healthy fibre and protein too! Enjoy.
10 REASONS WHY YOU WANT TO MAKE THIS SALAD:
- Keeps well
- Great for food prep
- High in protein
- Ready in 10 minutes
- Flavourful and satisfying
- Contains healthy hemp seeds
- High in protein and fibre
GRAIN-FREE MASHED CHICKPEA TABOULEH SALAD
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- ⅔ cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup or 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt to taste
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and use a masher or fork to mash into small pieces. Alternatively, make quick work of it and pulse them a few times in a food processor or blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
- Enjoy your summer salad!
AFTER SOMETHING EVEN MORE CLEAN? ORDER A CALI CLEANSE HERE!