Traditionally Christmas time means stocking the fridge with a well-known concoction made of beaten eggs, milk, and sugar – Eggnog. While we totally get the appeal of guzzling cup after cup of this ridiculously festive (usually alcoholic) beverage, as lovers of all things healthy we at Cali thought we would offer you guys a deliciously healthy alternative.
So here it is peeps, Veggnog; a raw vegan version that’s still super rich, thick and creamy! The secret ingredient in this recipe is sesame seeds: They add tons of protein, fiber, healthy fats, calcium and help make this smoothie a veritable meal.
Raw Vegan Eggnog Milkshake – My New Roots
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-2 dried figs (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 3 Tbsp. sesame seeds, soaked for 8 hours, or overnight
- 2 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 250ml milk of choice or water
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground clove
- Pinch of turmeric (for colour)
- A little squeeze of lemon juice
- Place sesame seeds in a glass with ½ tsp. of sea salt, cover with water and soak up to 8 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until completely smooth. Spice to taste. Enjoy.
The level of spiciness in this drink can be left up to your preferred taste. My New Roots suggests to start with just a little, blend, and add more if you’d like. The same goes for the figs: they usually make the milkshake with just one, but others might enjoy it a little sweeter. If you find that your figs are very dry, soak them the night before beside the sesame seeds, and use the soak water in the eggnog. The turmeric is really just to add a slightly creamy yellow, so it’s optional – but it is an excellent anti-inflammatory so why not!