The search is over and just in time for National Nachos Day (Nov 6th) and thanks to The Minimalist Baker we have found the recipe for the BEST DAMN VEGAN NACHOS! With summer well and truly en route, we’re all looking for the perfect party pleaser and some serious late night munchie material. What makes this recipe great is that it’s not only ridiculously delicious but it’s unbelievably and undetectably vegan! We’re talking salty tortilla chips, meets fresh and chunky salsa, meets creamy vegan queso. So heat up your beans, mash that guac and get ready to go to town!
5 Fun Facts About Nachos
- Invented in 1949 by a dude whose nickname was Nacho.
- Created in Mexico but the tortilla chip is American.
- A university in Kansas holds the record for the largest plate of nachos in the world; the 80-foot, 2126.89kg creation was sold to the masses for a dollar a portion to raise funds for charity (…ain’t the record holder, but check this out).
- Nachos have their own holiday: ‘National Nachos Day’ or ‘Day of the Nacho’ – November 6th.
- In Mexico nachos are called ‘totopos’.
The Best Damn Vegan Nachos
5 cups of tortilla chips
3/4 cup cashew-less vegan queso (full recipe here)
3/4 cup cooked organic black beans (canned is fine)
1/3 cup guacamole (1 ripe avocado + 1/4 tsp sea salt + 1 juiced lime)
1/2 – 3/4 cup chunky salsa
- Fresh jalapeños and red onion, sliced
- Hot sauce (we like Cholula as it’s authentically Mexican)
- Chilli powder
- If you haven’t prepared your vegan queso yet, do that first (full recipe here).
- Once your queso is ready (and hot), heat up your black beans in a small saucepan and season with a little sea salt and desired spices (we recommend garlic, cumin and chili powder).
- Next, prepare your guacamole by mashing your avocado with lime juice and sea salt. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Arrange your chips on a large serving platter and add toppings in desired order. We suggest black beans first, then queso, salsa, guacamole, red onion, jalapeno and lastly cilantro. Enjoy immediately!